Rainbow Lentil Medley
We’re trying to eat at least one vegetarian dinner per week without losing flavor. We really like the blending of these flavors. You’ll never even miss the meat! Perfect with our Grapefruit and Avocado Salad. Serves 4.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable, low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon each black pepper and oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 6 cups mixed vegetables, thinly sliced or diced, such as broccoli, squash, onion, red bell pepper, carrots
- 2 ounces crumbled goat or blue cheese
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium pot, bring broth and water to boil. Add lentils, garlic, black pepper and oregano. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a steamer, cook vegetables until just tender.
- Put lemon juice, oil and mustard in a small jar and shake until blended.
- Put all ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl and toss.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
THE SEASONED COOK Try this recipe using red lentils, which are a wonderful color, or French lentils, which are smaller, cook even faster, and hold their shape better. Nutrition Goldmine: Lentils are an excellent source of folic acid and fiber, and broccoli and squash provide lutein.