Easy Mix & Match Roasted Vegetables
Variety is the spice of life and the key to getting the most from your veggies. This super flexible recipe allows you to make healthy choices based on what’s fresh and in season, as well as what type of dish you’d like to prepare. You just start by roasting or grilling a colorful cornucopia of veggies, and then tossing them with your favorite fresh herbs. Delectably delicious on their own, this guide becomes your go-to for topping a pizza, tossing with pasta or scooping into salads. There’s even a handy chart to make sure your combos come out just right! Serves 4.
- 2 pounds vegetables (for example: carrots, white or sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, onions, eggplant) cut into uniform wedges, chunks, or slices; green beans trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, flat-leaf parsley, thyme, basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with oil, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Spread the vegetables in baking pans just large enough to hold them in one layer, keeping like vegetables together as they cook in the same amount of time. Roast, stirring vegetables occasionally, until they are fork-tender, about 15-30 minutes depending on type and size of vegetables.
- Or, on the grill: toss vegetables with oil, herbs and seasonings, place on grill and turn frequently for even cooking.
THE SEASONED COOK Use this recipe throughout the year, choosing what’s in season and looks best at the market. Make it fresh by trying 1 or 2 new vegetables each time. The possibilities are unlimited! Use your roasted vegetables in the following dishes and try a new herb or spice.
|Dish||What to roast?||Add herbs and flavors|
|Grilled panini sandwich||Portobello mushroom, eggplant, zucchini strips, onion slices||Sliced red tomato, basil, goat cheese, hummus|
|Topping for pizza||Mushroom medley, onion, garlic clove, tomato, artichoke hearts, spinach||Oregano, thyme, sage, Parmesan cheese|
|Tossed with pasta||Zucchini, sweet bell pepper, carrot, broccoli, butternut squash, onion, cauliflower, onion, winter greens||Garlic, chives, parsley, cilantro|
|Salad of mixed greens||Bell peppers, red onion, mushrooms, fennel, beets, yellow squash, sweet potato||Vinaigrette with sweet mustard, basil, dill, mace or nutmeg|
|Picnic or tailgating platter||Carrots, broccoli, winter squash, eggplant, red bell pepper, cauliflower||Sweet mustard and dill sauce, chopped flat leaf parsley|
|Side dish for a lean entrée||Onion halves, whole mushrooms, butternut squash rounds, whole carrots, sweet or white potato wedges||Rosemary, thyme, tarragon, teriyaki sauce, parsley, garlic|