Asparagus and Salmon Frittata
This egg white frittata makes a beautiful centerpiece for a light meal, brunch, or buffet. The salmon offers quality protein with Omega 3’s and the nutrient dense asparagus provides anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant benefits. Add fruit salad and muffins and your family will say thank you! Serves 4
- 8 egg whites (1 cup egg substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup low-fat half-and-half
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ pound salmon, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch (1 lb) asparagus cut in ½-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites well. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk in half-and-half, cheese, salmon and lemon zest.
- In a medium-sized skillet with ovenproof handle, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté asparagus and garlic until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Spread out asparagus and pour in egg mixture. Lower heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes to allow bottom crust to form.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes to allow top to cook. Turn on broiler for 2 minutes to brown the top.
THE SEASONED COOK As the seasons change so does your frittata ingredients. Use spinach, arugula, broccoli, shredded potatoes, or tomatoes to add color and nutrition. This is a quick to fix comfort food that appeals to all. If you want to add more whole eggs, simply use the formula of 1 egg = 2 egg whites.